Ngong Hills: 02-03 Feb 2019
– DUE TO UNAVOIDABLE CONFLICTS THIS EVENT IS CANCELLED
RVO Ngong Hills race is the easiest all RVO races, designed as an introductory event for those new to MTB races. A moderate level of physical fitness and novice technical skills are sufficient, the course design allows for an easy introduction to GPS self-navigation. Trail terrain is fairly smooth with minimal technical sections; the entire route is rideable by a novice mountain biker. Each day is in a different area.
- Day 1: 40 km: 600 m ascent – Start 09:00
- Day 2: 40 km: 600 m ascent – Start 08:00
- Solo riders and teams can register
- Singe day registration OK
- 100% GPS self-navigation is required
- The only course marking is the start / finish line
- Cyclists will start at 2 minute intervals in reverse seed order
- Stronger cyclists may ride 2 laps on each day
- Lunch – burger lunch and cash bar served at FCC poolside
- Accommodation – none available
Difficulty: Trail terrain is fairly smooth with minimal technical sections; the entire route is rideable by a novice mountain biker.
The Route: Stage 1 is undulating along village roads and jeep track, the route drops into the scenic Rift Valley where wildlife encounters are common. Stage 2 follows sublime single track through Ngong Forest.
Salama Hills (2): 19-20 May 2018
A SCENIC MOUNTAIN BIKE RACE across the Salama Hills. Moderate to good levels of level of physical fitness with novice technical skills are sufficient, there are some significant climbs on stage 1.
- Trail terrain is mild with a minimum of technical sections.
- Whistling thorns abound on stage 2 so tubeless tires filled with an extra dose of sealant is essential (Stan’s is best).
- In line with true adventures, participants MUST be self-sufficient for on ride nutrition, a single water station per day will be provided.
FRIDAY & SATURDAY NIGHT RIDES – bring your cycling light / head torch / any torch to enjoy a 10 km loop within the dairy ranch.
- Friday night: start at 19:00
- Saturday night: start 19:00
- Beer & BS available all weekend.
- 100% GPS: self-navigation is required
- Day 1: 60 km – Start 07:30
- Day 2: 30 km – Start 07:30
- Lite route – Saturday & Sunday approx 20 km
- Youth 13-17: on Lite route must be accompanied by an adult
- Team event with 2 or 3 partners per team
- Solo riders will be accepted at Race Directors discretion
- The only course marking is the start / finish line
- Riders will start at 4 minute intervals in reverse seed order (fastest last)
TRAIL TERRAIN IS MILD with a minimum of technical sections. Whistling thorns abound on stage 2 so tubeless tires filled with an extra dose of sealant is essential (Stan’s is best). In line with true adventures, participants MUST be self-sufficient for on ride nutrition, a single water station per day will be provided.
Kakuzi Hills: 30Jun – 01Jul 2018
- SUNDAY: 33 / 70 km – Start 08:00 – 100% GPS self-navigation.
- Accommodation & meals are not available
- 33 / 70 km routes – self supported – GPS required
- Cyclists must be strong for 70km route!!
- Conditions will be hot with considerable ascents
Saturday is long and hot with considerable ascents, riders must be reasonably fit.
Sunday caters for the entire family, the traditional Kakuzi Challenge format continues unchanged.
The Route: Trail terrain is smooth without technical sections. Thorns abound so tubeless tires filled with an extra dose of sealant is essential (Stan’s is best). There will be a single water point per stage.
Accommodation: The bush campsite is alongside a scenic dam, available Friday & Saturday nights only.
Africa&you Safaris will build a tented camp, options are for self-camp or rent a standard dome tent from them.
Lime Catering will provide meals from Saturday lunch to Sunday lunch. Lunch is included within registration fee, other meals are optional extras.
Rift Valley Odyssey: 25-29 Sep 2018
- 5 days : 475 km : 8500 m ascent : 25-29 Sep : Limuru – Naivasha – Suswa – Mosiro – Loita – Maasai Mara
- 3 days : 290 km : 4900 m ascent : 27-29 Sep : xx xx Suswa – Mosiro – Loita – Maasai Mara
Registration is limited to only 120 participants : 60% SOLD
The 9th Rift Valley Odyssey (RVO) will be a breathtaking mountain bike adventure race across Kenya’s spectacular Great Rift Valley. This is the only mountain bike race to visit Maasai Mara, starting from verdant tea farms east of the Rift Valley, crossing the valley floor to ascend into vast indigenous forests west of the Rift Valley, then onwards across rolling savannah to Maasai Mara.
Vacation for 2 nights in Maasai Mara with our customised safari package, refer to pre & post race packages pdf for details.
- Stage 1: Limuru to Naivasha: 100 km: 1900 m ascent
- Stage 2: Naivasha to Mt. Suswa: 80 km: 1500 m ascent
- Stage 3: Suswa to Mosiro: 90 km: 1300 m ascent
- Stage 4: Mosiro to Loita: 100 km: 2100 m ascent
- Stage 5: Loita to Maasai Mara: 100 km: 1600 m ascent
Difficulty: High altitude and big mountains, 45% of all cycling will be above 2,000 m altitude (peak race altitude is 2800 m).
You must be physically fit and mentally prepared for this demanding adventure. Because this is a “non-race adventure”, e-mountain bikes are welcome, we will deliver spare batteries to WP2 on each stage.
Supporter package: is available for your #1 fan, package includes daily transport to water points, meals and dome tent in race camp.
1-person dome tents: provided to all participants. Saturday night accommodation post race Maasai Mara is included for both 5 day and 3 day participants. Cottages are available at camp 1 only.