Makena’s Hills is a place of reflection and serenity, from which one can explore the wilderness of the Mukutan Conservancy. The Lodge sits on the highest point of Kurumakini Hill, with 360 degree views that leave visitors stunned and humbled by ancient and limitless horizons. The surrounding hills are perfect for long rides ending in secret spots for sunset, the nearby Engelesha Forest is thick with cedar and huge acacias, brimming with wildlife including colobus monkeys and elusive melanistic leopards, many rare birds and endemic insects. A nearby cottage by a lake is the perfect place to while away an afternoon waiting for elephant and buffalo to come to the water to drink.
RVO Laikipia Adventure traverses Makena’s Hills within Mukutan Conservancy, high on the eastern escarpment of the Great Rift Valley. This pristine wilderness area is on the extreme western edge of Laikipia, enjoying immense views from high above Lake Baringo.
The trails comprise jeep tracks and bush trails across the vast wilderness. The cycling routes we have selected are within the cattle grazing areas, away from areas with significant wildlife. For added security the Ol Ari Nyiro Conservancy team will deploy their game scouts and vehicles to ensure that our trails are free from troublesome wildlife..
- A moderate level of physical fitness is required to fully enjoy this wild landscape.
- There are no technical sections so the trails are suitable for everybody.
- Approximately 50 km of cycling per day includes a leisurely picnic stop.
- Vehicle support provides the option for cycling shorter distances.
- e-mountain bikes are welcome, we will deliver spare batteries in the support vehicle. (Kenya uses 240V UK plug standard).